Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Perfect Uniform?

I've always been a fan of uniforms- not necessarily men in uniforms, but rather, wearing them myself. I'm not sure why exactly, since I've never been much of a conformist. Maybe they give me that Halloween feeling of being in disguise or give me the sense that I'm not really going to to work, I'm just playing "make believe." I wore a polyester turquoise number in college when I waited tables at a diner. I always loved the moment at the end of my shift when I could peel it off and toss it in the hamper. I wonder if the the wearers of these uniforms felt the same way:

WWII Nurses: photo source credit
    

WWII Factory Workers: Photo source credit

Braniff Flight Attendents, 1965Photo Source Credit
 I work in a library now. My coworker Jersey Gina and I have joked about creating a "library uniform." I'm not sure exactly what this would look like, but I'm pretty sure it would involve cardigans and elastic waistbands. Do you wear a uniform? Do you want to? What would it look like?

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit I am a uniform lover too. I tend to like symmetry and uniforms definitely fit that bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Sherry! I've learned some great patternmaking tips from reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like uniforms too - on my "someday" wishlist are WW2 nurse, WRAC and WREN uniforms!

    xx Charlotte
    Tuppence Ha'penny Vintage

    ReplyDelete