Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Applique Inspiration

Ever since finishing my first applique project, I've been itching to start another. After looking around for some inspiration, I thought I'd share some of my favorites:

                                                                                                                                                                    
An evening coat by Balenciaga from the late 50s or 60s. I love the scalloped edge. The monochromatic floral motif reminds me of wedding dresses from Alabama Chanin:



A silk sash made in 1925 by Natalia Goncharova for House of Myrbor:




An evening dress by Pierre Balmain from the 1950s:





Silk and velvet applique by Natalia Goncharova in 1923 for House of Myrbor:



All images (except the Alabama Chanin pics) are from the Victoria and Albert Museum.

2 comments:

  1. The Balenciaga is done using a Cornely Machine. Models that can do this exact work are Cornely B, K, L, LT, LG, LTG, L3, L5, LG3 and LG5. Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete