Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Putting the Poodle Skirt to Sleep

 Considering that fine line between paying homage to bygone styles and looking like you are wearing a costume, I think it's safe to say that the poodle skirt crosses into the costume territory. Am I alone on this one?


Of all the lovely vintage fashions being stitched up by contemporary seamstresses- the swing skirts, the wiggle dresses, the cigarette pants- I don't think I've seen much interest in the poodle skirt, except maybe at Halloween.

That being said, my mom made me a poodle skirt when I was in a sixth grade lip syncing contest in which my two best friends and I emphatically mouthed the words to the Shangri-Las' 1964 "The Leader of the Pack." Unfortunately, we lost out to a group of girls who performed Janet Jackson's "Nasty Boys," but wearing my skirt the rest of the day, I felt like a winner.

Think it's possible to put a modern twist on the poodle? I'd love to see it. Can you think of any other vintage style garments that probably won't be making the next round of sew-alongs?

I'll leave you with the Shangri-Las in case you aren't familiar with their hit:

4 comments:

  1. I made a dress with a poodle skirt and it was lovely, but did feel a little 'costumy'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! The skirt itself is great, but the poodle's a little too much for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true, poodle skirts do seem to slip into the costume end of things. Although I would like to wear the saddle shoes they usually put with the skirt. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

    Petalrose- I'd love to see your skirt! Is it on your blog?

    ReplyDelete