Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Would you pay $1,600 a yard for this fabric?

Photo Credit: NYTimes

A couple of weeks ago, The New York Times ran a story about Medel Goldberg Fabrics, a fabric store on the lower east side that has been  run by the same family for four generations. The store specializes in luxury fabrics, such as the pearl beaded lace pictured above, that can cost as much as $1,600 a yard. The article is accompanied by a slide show of lovely photographs that left me momentarily daydreaming about being a long lost Goldberg and dividing my time between fabric finding missions abroad and sewing in a cramped corner of my great-great-great grandfather's shop. Honestly, I think that is the only way I would ever slice into a $1,600/yd piece of fabric.

Actually, even if I were to acquire such a valuable piece of material, I could see myself being so obsessed with finding the "perfect" project for it that I never actually use it! How about you? Do you have any fabric that you are hesitant to cut into?

3 comments:

  1. I bought two yards of lace for an equivalent of $45 a yard. That was my most expensive by the yard purchase in my stash. I am STILL scared to cut into it, I also have no idea what to do with it. But phew! $1600 a yard is just mind-boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good post. No never would I pay that! You could buy a really beautiful outfit and have enough left over to give some to a charity. My last dress I made was about 3 dollars for the 3 yards of fabric I bought at the thrift. I have spent about 12 dollars a yard but being a newbie to sewing garments, I am sticking with 15 dollars a yard and under!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (breathless) Oh my ~ I would frame it! Would not even dare to use it. I usually pay up to $7/yd. But I liked it when you could find $1/yd... sadly, that's lost.

    ReplyDelete