Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Summer Bloomers (aka Sleep Shorts)

About a year ago, my Aunt Lisa gave me a suitcase packed full of sewing odds and ends that had been my grandmother's. Among them were a set of underarm sweat guards, iron-on elbow patches, several packets of hem tape and rick-rack, a few fabric remnants, and a lifetime's supply of spare buttons. Even after I got them home, they smelled faintly of moth balls and Estee Lauder perfume- scents I always associated with her apartment and for that reason still find comforting. These summer sleep shorts are a quick project I made from stuff in my grandmother's stash:



























I lifted the pattern from a pair of store bought sleep pants and used a piece of super wide seam binding for the waistband/drawstring casing.



























Are they too sticky sweet for an adult? Yes, they probably are, but they sure are comfortable and came in handy during the heatwave this past week.

7 comments:

  1. These are the cutest thing ever. I would wear them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are super cute! I would sleep in these all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I definitely want a pair :) I made bloomers for my daughter this week, too--what part of the country are you that the heat wave got you? It's been terrible here in Chicago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacki O.! I'm in Philadelphia... I imagine Chicago has been pretty awful, too!

      Delete
  4. I love them, I am definitely going to make some for my daughters, maybe even make a pair for myself!

    ReplyDelete