Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

On Deck: Ringwood Gloves

My sister-in-law's birthday is fast approaching, and I've been wanting to knit her a pair of gloves to go with a scarf I made her several years ago. She told me once that she wears the scarf practically every day in the winter, so hopefully, the gloves will be just as much of a hit. On the other hand, being that this will be my first attempt at glove-making, maybe I should get a back up gift...

My first task was to find some yarn in a glove-appropriate weight to match (or at least complement) the yarn I used for her scarf, which was this Manos del Uruguay Wool Clasica in henna:


I love Manos del Uruguay. Their yarns are kettle-dyed in small batches that produce amazingly rich colors with subtle variations. Their line of reds are especially complex- from deep plum to bright orange-red poppy to dark brown brick and everything in between. I love seeing them stacked together at Rosie's Yarn Cellar. I could stare all day.

The Manos Wool Clasica line, being a worsted-weight, was too heavy for most glove patterns, but luckily I found this rust color in their Silk Blend line:


Though the colors don't match exactly, they go together quite nicely:



I'm using this Ringwood Glove pattern, available on knitty.com. The extra long cuff with the buttons is what sold me. Here is a peak in progress:



No comments:

Post a Comment