Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Propaganda and Textiles: The USA Edition

A while back I wrote this post about the book "Wearing Propaganda: Textiles on the Home Front in Japan, Britain, and the United States" in which the author, Jacqueline Atkins, shows how fashion was used to elicit feelings of patriotism during World War II. My favorite images from the book were those in which the patriotic elements were subtly incorporated into textile designs. Since reading that book, I've been on the look out for other possible intersections of fabric and propaganda. In honor of the 4th of July, I'll post a couple of examples I found lurking in my very own fabric stash:



This is a cotton print featuring all fifty states, their capitals, and a little illustration of something each state is known for.


 An adorable print and reference guide rolled into one!





A show of patriotism or just a pretty design? I found these stars amongst a pile of vintage remnants in a shop on Fabric Row:



Context is everything, I suppose. At the fabric shop, my only thought was that they'd make a great pair of sleep pants for my husband.

Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment