Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Zucchini Pickles

I took a canning workshop on Saturday with Marissa McClellan, who writes the blog Food in Jars. I've always been a little apprehensive about canning. When I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Armenia, canning was a big part of preparing for the long stretch of winter months when, other than cabbage and potatoes, not much produce was available in the markets. Summer through fall though, produce is plenty, and I'd join my neighbors in pooling our resources and sharing the labor so we could eat tomatoes in January. With every batch of figs or beans or apricots they'd tell me the same story about a family who sat down to a dinner of canned eggplant one winter evening and succumbed to botulism that very night.

Although Marissa put many of my fears to rest, it's unclear when my un-airconditioned kitchen will be cool enough to try canning on my own. In the meantime, I made an unprocessed version of her Garlic Dill Pickles.



The recipe make a great, slightly spicy pickle. I substituted zucchini for the cucumbers and sliced them into spears, instead of coins. I also used fresh dill from the garden instead of dill seed.




An added bonus is that pickle juice is supposed to make a great post-workout recovery drink, or so it was reported in The New York Times. Skeptical? Let me know if you give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment